Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Learning DX

Becoming more experienced in DXing, its funny how you find yourself getting better at picking out stations of interest. I’ve learnt to now put myself in to what I call “receive mode” which means I set up the FT 1000MP to how I specifically want it and together with a good set of earphones close myself off from any outside noise and almost go in to a receive trance.

One thing I’ve noticed is a distant station has a particular sound, a sort of distant echo, I thought at first it was my receiver playing up but after researching on the web I found out this is well known and is called “artic flutter” what a wonderful term!

Now through practise I concentrate on only a particular part of the band I am working on and without thinking just slowly trawl up and down mostly with the filters set at narrow. Unfortunately I only have the standard filters on the FT which I am hoping I will be able to rectify as soon as I can afford it. Never the less even with what I currently have and putting certain skills I’ve learnt in to practise has proved very useful in picking out a very faint signal and on a number of occasions I’ve managed to get in first before the rush starts.

Don’t get me wrong here, I’m not the greatest DXer going and I won’t deliberately set out to find a particular station, I haven’t got a large beam or tower but with the setup I have I am able to just amble slowly along the band to find a VK, J or ZL who is calling CQ. However with my newly made 10m Moxon which is currently pointing west, (I have no rotator at the moment), I can pick out a lot more faint stations than with the cobweb and this is proving fascinating and giving me a better insight in to why DXing is so popular.

No comments:

Post a Comment