Friday, March 24, 2017

Completion of Tilt Over Mast & An Antenna at Last

Continuing with the building of the homebrew wind up/tilt over mast, I have at last managed to finish the build, but due to the past week of heavy winds not yet tested.

I actually completed on Monday, but on looking at the pulley which was first placed directly below the winch, I felt the angle was too direct and would probably cause some kind of an issue, I think the raised pole would hit the pulley. Suffice to say I bought two steel rectangular plates, cut them to size and fitted so that the pulley came out and away from the scaffold poles, so as to create more of gap between the main pole and the scaffold poles. My geometry has never been much good, but you just know when you get that feeling that something could work better if you redesigned it, and besides it looks better!


I've buried the two upright poles 3 feet in the ground and I'll concrete and ballast when and I'm completely happy it's all working as it should be.


I think it's a reasonable effort and should be OK for some light antenna work, anyway it will save me from further back ache! But I'll do some more testing this weekend.

I took the Moxon down after seeing the rotator swing in the high winds and presumed it was too weak for the 17m Moxon. But in actual fact when fitting the winch I notice some of the nuts attaching the rotator to the aluminium scaffold pole were loose, realising this was the probable cause of the free rotation, doh!  So instead, I have now fitted the 6 element 2m Yagi, I'm going to leave it  for the moment and try out 2 metres this weekend.

After much thinking, reviewing and mulling over, I have finally chosen an new antenna and it's a mix between a beam and an Omni directional, its called a Dual Beam Pro antenna by Pro antennas   It's very light and reasonably unobtrusive so wont annoy the villagers and it has bidirectional characteristics requiring only 180 degrees rotation to cover the globe.

The dual beam pro, interesting shape?

I must admit at first I was all for a mini beam or a Yagi, but after reading the write ups and seeing it has a good score in E-ham reviews. I bit the bullet and purchased it and am now eagerly awaiting it's arrival. I will do a separate review of the antenna at a later date. 

4 comments:

  1. Not really a beam. It's an end-loaded dipole. Works fine, just that the end loads are not directional elements...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Relative to what you've been using, adding a yagi-uda with at least 3 elements will provide you performance that I suspect your desiring. That 3rd element as a director makes a big difference! While the Hex "beam" (2 element) does allow for multiple bands (which is great) - it typically won't weather as well as aluminum - at least over time. In any event, you REALLY need to get those HF antennas up in the air where they belong! The higher the better! The "villagers" can look the other way if need be. If they've got nothing else to do - they need to find something else to do! The only thing that is worse than where your hex currently is in the first picture is putting it underground and expecting it to be a great DX antenna..

    ReplyDelete
  3. One last thing to note is it appears you're using a television rotator for HF antenna in the last picture above. While they may work for some smaller VHF and UHF antennas, typically for HF - they won't take the twisting strain of the array in the gusty winds over time. THIS is why there are "Ham" based rotators that are designed and built to accommodate the larger antennas. At least something to consider. If budget is a concern, take a look at the rebuilt units that are cleaned up and [often] look fairly new for sale over the Web.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what kind of pipe did you use for the top part of the pole (aluminum, light conduit or heavy wall steel pipe?) looks like good design was looking for something to use with 2 satellite antennas at abt 15 feet and like the winch part.. Ed W6AOA Pensacola, FL

    ReplyDelete