Looking good but before I'd got the rotator!
The rotator was bought from Conrad Electronics for £49.00 and is a standard TV rotator, but ideal for something light like the moxon. The only problems I faced were that the instructions were in German (my German is not good), and so in my haste I did not realise that the separately supplied 3 pin plug just allowed the European 2 pin plug to just slot in to it. I thought I had to rewire and so I cut the 2 pin plug off..........oops! A quick bit of reconnecting and soldering fixed the problem and I soon had it all attached to my mast and was rotating away to my hearts delight.
So I've decided the next step for me is to plan a 10 meter yagi something with 3 elements and then have a go at building one in the New Year. I’ve had a look at some designs on the web and they don’t look too difficult to construct although the gamma match is something new to investigate but again doesn’t look too complicated.
The weather forecast this week is for gale force winds so for the first time I have dropped the cobweb and mast right down to its lowest level. Last week we had some quite high winds and the mast was weaving about all over the place and I decided there is no point in taking any risks so everything has been lowered and I only have the W3DZZ active at the moment.
Whilst building all my antennas I borrowed an MFJ antenna analyzer from my brother in law, he now wants it back as his Hygain came down in last weeks storms and he needs it to reset the vertical. Without an analyzer I feel slightly lost and so I took the plunge and bought a Feature Tech AW06A which is a basic analyzer covering just the SW frequencies. The few reviews I’ve managed to read give it a good write up and compared to the MFJ is fairly basic, but it should do the job. Fingers crossed I will receive it before Christmas and I will give it a proper write up in a later post.