Friday, September 4, 2020

QCX+ Continuation

After the first bit of fun where I completely messed up the build in thinking I was constructing a 40m version instead of a 20m, things have somewhat calmed down. The instruction manual is well written, with excellent photos, good descriptions and provided you take your time and don't rush as I did, you wont make mistakes and things should go as described.


As I write I have completed the kit and apart from 4 missing M3 screws that I'm not too sure should be included anyway, but I can't emphasize enough it was a good build from the instructional point of view, so much so that a beginner with a bit of common sense should be OK. 

As yet, I have  to do the smoke test which for me I'm dreading, with the potential screw up of the T1 torroid. I'm just hoping it will work, but honestly I really don't know and it's certainly nothing to do with QRP Labs, it was purely my mistake! I would and probably will purchase other kits from QRP Labs, they are an excellent company, even emailing me during the pandemic to say how my order was progressing!

Once I had corrected my mistakes the rest of the build was fairly straight forward, with no difficult issues or problems. Once completed I was struck by how good and simple the design was. But that's the reason why the original QCX design sold 10,000 kits!

The enclosure is fairly simple yet strong and sturdy. There is certainly no need to make your own, this one will do the job brilliantly.


The picture above is not too clear but gives the general idea. Incidentally the kit is sitting on the manual, that's how much information regarding building etc you get...134 pages, pretty impressive!

Once I have built up enough courage I will do the smoke test, hopefully have a very large drink and report back and then on to the next build!!

...........Just to add, smoke test completed and although it switched on my LCD display was just showing one line of bars. After a thorough check of soldering points and some re soldering and also repositioning of the micro chip The radio sprang in to life, excellent! Now I have to align and do some other tuning and then hopefully we have a good little rig to play with.

No comments:

Post a Comment