Saturday, August 22, 2020

The Texas Topper 5 Watt Amp

Before moving on from QRPme and the failed Rockmite that didn't live up to my expectations. I also purchased the Texas Topper, a 5 watt amplifier. This I thought would go nicely with the 4 Rockmites that I own and could provide me with a bit of oomph should the need arise!

Once again, how can I explain, I've built the 4 Rockmites, an OHR 100A, even a K2 so I'd like to think I'm not a novice builder, but even I was struggling with the instructions. When you have built something like the K2 or the QCX and even the early Rockmites the instructions are superb. They take you along the fun and the ride of the whole process, good instructions will also explain why your doing something so you can learn and understand the whole build process.


Sadly with QRPme they seem to be blunt and to the point, not really teaching you and expecting you to know things that really aren't that clear. Also once again I also had the wrong parts so I have had to order five more capacitors, annoying to say the least.

The Texas Topper has been constructed, but once again with little satisfaction by me, I feel sort of empty, not quite fulfilled.

The picture shows it all, built but missing parts, which are all on order. I shall now have to wait another week and probably struggle with the completion yet again. Incidentally my rockmite transistor part appeared the other day which fixed the receive problem, but unfortunately I still can't transmit so more investigation work is required.

To sum up I don't think I'll be buying anymore kits from QRPme, sorry but that the way it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment