Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Antarctica Calling

Been having some fun with 30 meters; last night around 21.30 GMT I was having a listen on the band and it seemed very quiet, I thought maybe the recent sunspot activity had made things quiet.

Then out of the background noise I heard a very faint call, VP8DMH, Mike Clarke down in Antarctica at the Halley Research Station on the Brunt Ice Shelf. It’s the second time I’ve managed to contact him and I’m chuffed to bits, although our contacts are short it just really good to know that a simple home made 30m inverted V dipole is getting out all the way down to Antarctica. The morse is fairly slow so it would be excellent for any newcomers to CW to try a bit of DX.

Have a listen, he’ normally about on 10.118 at around 21.30 hrs GMT.

No comments:

Post a Comment