Thursday, February 7, 2019

The M0PLK Delta Loop Antenna

So at last the weather has turned for the better and I have been assembling the M0PLK Delta Loop which came from Poland. I’m amazed at the quality of various parts that make up the antenna, you don’t get this sort of quality with other local commercial antennas.

To start I had to make up the ladder line, I tried to follow the instructions which I managed to find on the website, but of course it was in Polish which was no  help to me. Instead I followed the pictures and I'm pretty certain all was OK, but for peace of mind I did a google translation at the end of the build just to be sure!



Each upright side of the Delta Loop is made from  aluminium tubular extendable poles and the cross section is 12 gauge wire, which is the same for the ladder line, nice and strong. There are excellent plastic connectors for the ladder line, 7 in total which are fairly easy to assemble.



Connecting the cross wire is again fairly easy, it has a couple of wire clamps with the wire circled over the top of the aluminium tubes and then clamped to fix it in position. The centre piece connects the two wires together with the ladder line. The bottom of each aluminium tube is connected by a single wire. The two aluminium poles are then clamped on a vee shaped piece of aluminium by six larger clamps.



The vee already has the balun attached to the aluminium plate, so it’s just a matter of fixing the ladder line to each side of the balun.



The pole are then extended and you add some jubilee clamps to each pole extension. Hay presto, the antenna is then completed!

I should have it assembled and up on its new 5 metre scaffold pole by the end of the week, subject to my work of course! I'll do another blog to see how it actually behaves when in use.
It will be interesting to compare with the homebrew, but I suspect "compare" will be a bit far fetched, but well see. The home brew has had a replacement fibre glass pole added as the one that was damaged was too far gone to repair.

Good news, I managed to assemble the antenna over Saturday and so far without serious testing it's sounding and looking pretty good. Certainly it knocks spots off the homebrew for receiving and transmitting. I did do a very quick comparison with the Hustler and initial results were pretty good. 



I'll do some more testing in the next few days and write up the results. As I write, the wind is starting to pick up again so I may well drop the antenna down for the rest of today. It's easy enough to do as its clamped to one of my scaffolding poles which is in the old sleeve cemented in the ground which was for the yagi. So it can just be lifted out and layed out on the ground for the moment.


It's certainly a lot tighter all round than the homebrew and the aluminium poles seem to be a lot stiffer than the fibre glass. As I mentioned earlier the quality is much better than you would get in the UK!

No comments:

Post a Comment