Monday, August 10, 2020

Emtech ZM-2 ATU

 I came across this ATU kit while searching the web for a tuner specifically for my Rockmites and other QRP rigs as the Tokyo HC 400L ATU is too big for the low power.

All the reviews I'd read, pointed towards a good, easy to build QRP tuner. So I decided to go ahead and purchase. In under 10 days it arrived promptly from the States, custom free and well packed. 

The instructions were well layed out and even a beginner could quite easily complete this kit. The only process that might be deemed difficult for some were the two toroids, but to be honest they were not that difficult, but being the lazy person that I am, I got the main T130 toroid wound for me for an extra $5 which I thought was pretty cheap! To be honest and my only moan was the T130 had been wound but the 2nd SWR indicator toroid which is much smaller hadn't been and if I'd known this at the start I wouldn't have bothered paying the extra $5 as I find smaller toroid's harder than the larger ones to wind! 

But no matter, I'm not a complainer about winding toroids, the're a necessity and I just get on with the job. Otherwise installing the components and the switches was pretty easy, there's not a lot of room when installing the 2nd toroid, but if you're careful it fits all in.

The tuner even comes with two sets of decals which you can then spray with varnish or  similar screening, provided they are stuck on accurately they work well.

Once finished it's extremely easy to operate, which makes it a joy to work. I really like this bit of kit and for the price you can't go wrong. It will be ideal for the new QCX+ kit that I'm waiting to arrive!



No comments:

Post a Comment